ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING (3D printing) Certification
In conjunction with NovaBeans, the Illinois MakerLab (at the University of Illinois) is offering the opportunity to earn a Certificate in Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing). To earn this certificate, students will need to do the following:
1. Obtain knowledge about the basics of desktop 3D Printing. We recommend enrollment in one of the NovaBeans training centers in India as a good source to gain this knowledge. As supplements to this training, we also recommend the 3D Printing instruction on Coursera (i.e., The 3D Printing Revolution. 3D Printing Applications & 3D Software).
2. Once you have obtained this requisite knowledge, please submit an application. The application form is available below. In addition to this application, NovaBeans will forward along to the University of Illinois a payment to cover the testing fee on behalf of students enrolled in their programs and interested in obtaining certification.
3. Once this payment is received, we will contact you (via email) with an appointment for a testing date and send you a Zoom link for conducting this test.
4. The test itself will take approximately 2 hours to complete and consists of two parts: (1) a multiple-choice test and (2) a hands-on design exercise.
5. The test will include 50 questions about 3D printing technology, applications, hardware, materials, software and scanning. Each question is worth 2 points. A score of 80 or above is required to pass this test. The test will be shared via Zoom and be administered by a MakerLab employee. You will have one hour to complete this test.
6. The exercise will require you to do a live design of an object such as bottle opener, whistle, or vase using Fusion 360. A MakerLab employee will show you a picture of the object and ask you to design it live through Zoom. You will have 40 minutes to complete this design. You will be graded on both the process of this design as well as its outcome via a 5-point scale (1 = poor, 5 = excellent). Once the design is complete, you will be asked a set of 10 multiple-choice questions about the design and how to print it. Each question is worth 10 points. In order to pass this portion of the exam, you will need to obtain a score of 80 or above on the multiple-choice portion as well as a rating of 4 or above on the process and outcome evaluation.
Your results will be emailed to you within 48 hours of completing your exam. If you successfully pass both parts, you will be sent an official MakerLab Certificate in 3D Printing. If you do not pass the exam, you will be provided with an opportunity to retake the exam for an additional fee of $120 (paid by student via NovaBeans).
Please fill out the form below to pick a time and date for the exam. This is tentative and will be confirmed after payment receipt.